I’m feeling kind of meh about this season so far. Maybe it’s because I haven’t really found someone to root for yet. I have been putting my votes toward Jonathan and Allison…but that’s mostly because I love love love Allison Holker.
* So 2 couples got perfect scores. I don’t think they should have gotten perfect scores…and funny that they were both jazz which leads me to believe that the judges don’t quite know how to judge/score jazz. Now- I actually really really really like both Bethany & Derek and Janel & Val. Janel is probably one of my favorites and I would love to see Val get rewarded for his great work on the show. I just don’t know if I would have been handing out 10s this week. It’s not really helping these celebs… I think Janel has improved immensely…she actually looks like a dancer! I just hate to think you know that she gets 10s this week when they weren’t ready for it and then in the next few weeks they get judged harshly because they don’t perform to their expectations. I love Derek. I really do and usually I’m voting for whoever he’s with (Jennifer Grey, Shawn, Kellie, Amber etc)- but Bethany…meh….she still hasn’t performed in a way that makes me say “Whoooaaaa that was amazing”- I don’t feel like she’s giving it her all yet so again- I feel like 10s is more of a detriment. I love both of these couples and hope they stick around for a while…I really want to see these girls shine.
* Sweet Betsey… I’m glad she’s improving and that Tony looks like he likes being there now. But I don’t know…it didn’t really feel like a contemporary piece… More like a freestyle to me. It’s always kind of irritated me that DWTS has a contemporary category now because the choreography never really feels contemporary to me.
* Antonio and Cheryl… To be quite honest…I ff through them. I don’t know why. Cheryl kind of bugs me and Antonio meh… but that’s just me.
* Alfonso and Witney…He’s an entertaining dancer…but I’m interested in seeing him improve in the ballroom dances.
* Lea and Artem- they always start out strong and then she kind of fizzles in the middle. I honestly think they were a smidge over scored last week. That jive shouldn’t have gotten 9s ( I just think of Derek and Jennifer’s PERFECT Jive…also in the second week that got 8s). I like her tho- and what I love about her is that she just has this smile that says “I love dancing here!”
* Jonathan and Allison… Yes, Allison is my favorite dancer ever so maybe I’m biased! I thought this week was an improvement from last week. People kind of criticize and said that she veered too much off of the cha cha because she isn’t a trained ballroom dancer… This could be true…but I have seen plenty of the regular pros veer off the ballroom track for their dances so that didn’t bother me. I feel like Jonathan still needs to break through somehow. Lack of confidence? Overthinking? Nerves? I don’t know… I always feel like he gets in his head too much and we lose him through the dance. The tango was good… I think they deserved the 8s…the choreography was great. Allison is learning too- I’m glad she reached out to another pro for some advice and that they showed that. That showed that she’s in this for her partner…she’s in it to help him stay in the competition and find a balance between her artistry and the ballroom/latin technique. I don’t think they’ll make it to the finals or anything but I’d like to see them stick around. And please. DWTS. Give this girl a contemporary slot before they leave… She’s got to show the judges what a real contemporary piece looks like because she’s a genius!
* Tommy and Peta were good. I liked the tango! He kind of goes dead eyes for me…but overall- I was quite impressed.
*Sadie and Mark… I thought Sadie kind of held back a bit…maybe last week kind of spooked her. I don’t think she followed through with her movements… Having said that- she is cute as a button and actually really liked her last week!